Vegetarian Eggplant Lasagne
- Orgran Rice & Corn Mini Lasagne Sheets
- (follow cooking instructions on the box)
- 650 g eggplants (cut into 5 mm slices)
- 4 tbs finely shredded basil
- Olive oil (for greasing)
- 30 g grated Parmesan cheese
Béchamel (White) Sauce
- 1/3 cup Orgran All Purpose Plain Flour
- 2 ½ cups skim milk
- 1 garlic clove
- 40 g sliced carrots
- 2 tbs reduced fat spread
- 1 large fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 250 g finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp dried Organum
- 825 g canned tomato pieces
- Salt & black pepper (to taste)
Variation: To prepare the Lasagne in advance, assemble the dish, then cover loosely with foil and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Note: Eggplant slices are the ideal filling for this superb vegetarian Lasagne, which can be made a day in advance.
Preheat oven 180°C (356°F)
Lightly grease a 325 x 225 x 50mm or 13” x 9” x 2” ovenproof dish with oil
Method to make Tomato Sauce
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add the onions and fry for 6-8 minutes, until softened, but not browned.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and oregano and bring to the boil then simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring frequently, or until reduced by about one-third and then season to taste.
Method to make Lasagne
- Steam the eggplant single-layer batches for 4-5 minutes each batch, until softened. Put aside.
- Prepare Lasagne sheets as per instructions on the box.
- Place 2 sheets of pasta in the bottom of the dish and pour over a third of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle with basil.
Method to make Béchamel Sauce
- Pour the milk into a saucepan; add the carrots, clove and parsley.
- Bring to the boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover and leave the mixture to infuse for 30-40 minutes.
- To complete the sauce, strain the infused milk and discard the flavourings.
- Melt the spread in a saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to boil, whisking continuously until the sauce is thick enough to thinly coat the back of a spoon.
- Simmer for 3 minutes then add salt, pepper and freshly grated nutmeg to taste