Homebaked Apple Pie
- 300 grams All Purpose Pastry Mix
- 150 grams Unsalted Butter (Cold)
- 100 grams Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 50 ml(7tbsp) Iced Water
- 2 teaspoons Cornflour
- 1 kilogram Apples
- 50 grams Sultanas
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 120 grams Caster Sugar
- Egg Whites for brushing
- A little caster sugar for dusting
- Mix the butter, sugar and Orgran All Purpose Pastry Mix to a crumb consistency only. Do not over mix.
- Mix together the water and the eggs.
- Add water-yolk mixture to flour mix, and mix to clear dough. Do not over mix.
- Chill the pastry for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Wash, peel and slice the apples and put into a saucepan with the sultanas, cinnamon and caster sugar.
- Bring to the boil, simmer for 5 minutes then remove from the heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Remove half the pastry from the fridge and roll out on a well-floured surface with a floured rolling pin to a circle just larger than pie dish 5 mm thick and cut around the edges with a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle the cornflour on to the base of the pie to absorb any excess juices.
- Fill the case with the prepared apple filling.
- Remove the other half of the pastry from the fridge and roll out in the same way.
- Brush a little of the egg white around the edge of the pastry base and cover with the pastry top pushing down on to the edges.
- Cut around the pie and crimp the edges together using the back of the knife blade.
- Prick several holes in the pastry with a fork.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until the pie is golden brown.
- On removal from the oven, dust with castor sugar.