CAKE | Bowl 1:
- 3 Tbsps ground flaxseeds + ½ cup water
- ¼ cup agave maple syrup or honey if not vegan
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted ( sub any neutral oil)
- ½ cup coconut sugar sub brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup raw cashews soaked in hot water for 1 hour
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 6 Tbsps passion fruit adds acidity (sub 3 Tbsps lemon juice)
- 4 Tbsps agave mayple syrup or honey if not vegan
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted (adds richness & thickens when sets)
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup coconut yoghurt (sub ½ cup coconut cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp apple cider vinegar (for a tangier frosting)
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 ½ cups Orgran All Purpose Plain Flour
- 1 ½ tsps baking powder
- 1 ½ tsps baking soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ cup coconut sugar sub cane sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg optional
- ¼ tsp cloves optional
- ¼ tsp cardamom optional
- ½ cup walnuts chopped & lightly roasted
- ¼ cup pecans chopped & lightly roasted
- ½ cup dried pineapple chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup dried date pieces optional (sub raisins)
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 ½ cup grated carrot loosely packed
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- Roast chopped nuts in 180 ℃ oven until light golden colour and fragrant. Soak cashews in hot water for 1 hour. Spray or butter and lightly dust with gluten-free flour either 3 round 15 cm cake tins or 2 cake tins of 20 cm. Shake out the excess flour and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl prepare the flax eggs and then add the rest of the ingredients listed under bowl 1 and whisk with a hand mixer for 2 minutes until combined and a little lighter.
- Whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and spices together. Then add the grated carrot, roasted nuts , apple sauce and dried fruit but don’t mix in yet.
- Slowly start to incorporate the contents of bowl 1 into bowl 2 by mixing in a 1/3 cup of bowl 1 into bowl 2 until everything is combined.
- Then add 3/4 cup almond milk and more (1/4 cup extra) if still too thick. Cake mixture should be thick but still pourable.
- Divide evenly among cake tins. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until golden brown and fork comes out clean. Note that the size of the pan used will vary the baking time. Begin with frosting.
- Blend all the ingredients for the frosting except passion fruit in the blender until smooth. Then mix the passion fruit in by hand. Transfer the frosting into a container and let it thicken up in the fridge until it is time to frost the cake.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before running a knife around the sides of the tin and then gently taking the cake out of the tin and placing it on a cooling rack to cool down completely.
- Once cooled you can start to frost. Note that if using coconut yoghurt or coconut whip to frost the cake needs to be stored in the refridgerator and taken out 10 minutes before serving.
Credit: Christy Richards